Hillsdale Community has a contract with Blade Runners for snow removal. In the event of a storm, here is what to expect:
- First, Blade Runners will clear a lane to allow vehicles to travel in and out of the community. As part of this, Blade Runners will have to plow the center area several times to manage snow piling high on the alternative sides.
- Next, Blade Runners will work to clear stuck vehicles and safety hazards in the community.
Blade Runners only ploughs our streets—not the parking spaces, mailboxes, fire hydrants, sidewalks or storm drains.
We appreciate homeowner assistance with plowing our sidewalks and not shoveling snow into the street, as this creates additional hazards for cars moving into and out of the neighborhood.
In addition to clearing your parking spots and sidewalk, consider clearing a fire hydrant, mailbox or storm drain—and help your neighbors if possible, as an act of kindness goes a long way!
Preparing for the cold and snow of winter may not be the first thing on your mind, but cold and snow will arrive! To prepare, it’s a good idea to:
- Buy sand, salt and shovels early–before they vanish from store shelves.
- Turn off outside water, front and back. Drain the hoses and take them inside.
- Consider putting insulation around basement pipes to keep them warm.
- To prevent water pipes from freezing during extremely cold temperatures, open cabinet doors and allow the tap to drip.
- If you plan on traveling for an extended period of time, and you cannot find a “house-sitter,” consider turning off your water and draining your pipes to prevent freezing.
- And one way to make the neighborhood look and feel warmer is to leave your lights on at night. It can brighten a gloomy day!